Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      GregG
      Participant

After taking a photo and starting F-Stop either in Folders view or in the Camera folder, it takes the app up to 6 seconds to generate a thumbnail of the new image.

Other apps, such as Google’s Photos or Gallery KK, show new images instantaneously.

Is there a setting that I am missing, or is this a bug?

dandv
      Participant

The problem is best reproduced if you take many photos (e.g. in a burst), then open F-Stop. The newest photos won’t show up in the Camera album.

bongster
      Participant

Hi there,
      I suffer the problem too. Any hint on how to speed up the camera folder?
      Thanks for this great app!
      Regards,
      Bongster

bongster
      Participant

After a test on my old phone i have to add that it very fast on it. Perhaps the problem is caused by the amount of pictures i have on my main phone. Around 18000…

Brian486
      Participant

I have same problem in that when new photos are added it takes an age to display them.
      I have 90,000 photos on my phone. Average size 60kb adequate to show on a phone.
      I want F-Stop to be a simple Graphics viewer – nothing more, nothing fancy. A list of settings to achieve this would be nice.

gorannagy

F-Stop has some features like Smart albums, tags, ratings, etc…that requires it to keep a lit of all images in it’s own database. Most galleries uses Media Store to get list of images. For features implemented in F-Stop this is simply not enough. So, F-Stop constantly needs to keep list of images on your device fresh. That requires getting list of new images, comparing that list to the list in it’s own database, and adding new and removing missing images.

There are different ways how F-Stop searches for images. It either uses “Custom scanning”, which will read all folders and files in it and check for images. This can be quite slow when you have a lot of images. There is no way around it, as Android intentionally slowed down scanning through years with new file APIs (which is documented on various websites with benchmarks).
      Other way is to use “Media Store” which can be faster. You can change this in Settings//Main//Included folders.

However, there are other settings that may affect it, like “Check for changed images”. This setting will (on each scan) check whether date of some images changed, so that it can reread it’s metadata and thumbnails. This is painfully slow when you have a lot of images. Not sure why, but getting last modification date for a file is relatively slow on Android, now multiply that by number of images and it can take a minute or more.

So, I would first try changing those two settings mentioned above (scan type and check for changed images (if it is enabled)).
      If this does not help, how many images do you have?

Brian486
      Participant

I have changed to “Media Store” and now new photographs appear quickly. I have about 90,000 small 60K photos to sort through in quite a complex folder structure. Thanks for the help

gorannagy

Thanks for the update!

Brian486
      Participant

I have changed from custom scanning back to Media store. I have many additional included folders. Now all the subfolder show 0 files.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.