Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Wouter
      Participant

I have been a very happy daily user of f-stop for many years, however since a few weeks I encounter a really strange issue on one of my devices.
      After editing my holiday photos with tags the folder these images are stored in no longer show any photos. Sometimes this happens after editing 10 photos, sometimes after just one edit. Only when editing tags in another folder (which then shows no images) do the images show up again. I have tried many things from clearing cache to changing settings like not to save changes immediately, but nothing helps. This is on a tablet running Android 7. My mobile device does not have this issue.
      As I have 46.000+ images on this device so rebuilding thumbnails takes quite a while… I has always worked well and has always supported my workflow this way.

Any suggestions?! I cannot remember if this happened since one of the recent updates.

Goran

Under “Settings//Main//Included folders” do you see “Scanning type”? If you do, which option is selected? Does changing to other option makes any difference?

Also, do I understand correctly, that even if you do not really save metadata, it will still not show folder?
      Even if you change just one image in a folder with ten images, it won’t show any images? Is the folder visible in the list of folder so you can tap on it (and not show any images), or is the folder itself missing?

Wouter
      Participant

I was set to ‘custom scanning’. Is this a new setting?
      I have set it to ‘media store’, but in changing that setting all is rebuild. Which with 46000+ photo’s takes more than a day. And I still had the same issue.

When having it set to not autosave, I believe images disappeared after saving. However now trying to reproduce to be exact in my answer I do not see this behaviour. Scanning type is set to ‘custom scanning’ now.

The folder does show, but with 0 images and folder thumbnail becomes blank.

Thanks for the quick response!

Wouter
      Participant

Now I was able to reproduce.
      – autosave is off
      – tagged 2 images and just confirmed by selecting the ‘check’ icon. So did not save metadata yet.
      – folder is now shown empty

Wouter
      Participant

And to be clear; it does not happen all the time. Sometimes each edit, sometimes it works smoothly for 10 edits in a row.

Goran

I’d say it has something to do with number of images, though it’s hard to say. I know that rescanning 46000+ images is slow and tedious, but as I can not reproduce the issue, this will be hard to solve. I suggest maybe you could try downgrade couple of versions to find where the issue started. Also, it would be beneficial to know whether this also happens when you have only 4000-5000 images in database.
      Maybe you should contact me by email, so I can send you previous versions.

Wouter
      Participant

Hello, an update for my side regarding this issue. It was driving me mad, I have tried everything I could think of but nothing worked. I have now gone back to v5.3.24 and disabled auto-update of the app. I have not encountered the issue so far, although may be it’s too early to conclude it certainly looks like it is related to a change in v5.3.27.

Hope this helps you to identify what it could be and provide a fix in a next version. If there’s any more info I can provide to help please let me know.

Regards,
      Wouter

gorannagy

In that version we added possibility to use “Media Store scanning”. Maybe that was enabled for you?
      If you are willing to try, you can maybe test whether changing scanning type under “Settings//Main//Included folders” makes any difference. For me it didn’t.

Wouter
      Participant

Initially this was not set to media store scanning, but did encounter this issue. I have tried testing with it but my photo folders are not in a location accessible for this android version. So I would then not have access and could not test.

I have done a lot of tagging now back on version v5.3.24 and this is running smooth!

Goran

Which folder was it? As it seems it was not an ordinary folder (normal folders are usually accessible in all Android versions), maybe that can give me some clue.

Wouter
      Participant

I use DSCloud to sync my photos with my Synology Diskstation. This (on older android versions) has to be stored in /android/data/com.synology.dscloud. The standard media scan does not have access to that.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.